Tuesday, 9 October 2012

Challenge 87 - Things With Wings

Hello everyone, it's Annette here to host today's challenge.

I've had so many people ask how I do the clouds on my images, so I've made a step-by-step picture tutorial especially for you.

First of all, for those of you who've not seen my clouds before, here is my finished card showing the clouds behind my image.



You'll need the following materials:
1) a coloured image of something outside
(cos clouds inside a house just don't look right LOL !!)
2) some chalks and applicators (or inks and make-up brush)
3) your cloud template (see below)
How I make my template:
I've drawn an oval, and then copied and pasted it loads of times, and moved the repeated ovals into a random ripple / wave shape.



I've then edited out all the lines of the ovals except for the topmost line so that it looks like a continuous line. You don't need to do this, cos once you've cut it out, the lines don't really matter, but I'm a bit of a geek, so I like to do this!! 
Alternatively, you can just download my finished template below !!!

Print it out in thin card (or even possibly acetate), cut around the line, and you have yourself a cloud template.

Before I start to apply my clouds, I like to outline my image in pale blue/aqua. I use B000 copic. This just gives a bit of depth to the image before you add the clouds (and also hides any colouring that has ventured outside the lines of the image!!!)




Below is a picture of the chalks I use. They are Dovecraft Shimmer Chalks, and I think it is fairly obvious which one I use the most !!! Yup, the blue one that is worn away to the base of the tin !! I'm starting to use the darker colour now, and pressing more lightly to create the same effect. The shimmer chalks produce a lovely effect.



I start from the top of my image and work down in rows. For the top row I place the template so that it is directly over the top line of my image, covering the top of her head in this case, so I can do one full-width row of clouds. 



Apply the chalks in small circular motions along the width of the template. 


For the second row, I offset the template so that if the clouds were in a upward curve on the top row, they're in a downward curve on the next row down. This way your clouds look more random, and the pattern doesn't look like it repeats. 

(Yup - placement matters - I told you I was a geek!) 


Do the same on the other side. I guess you could mask your image, but I just work down each side, and am careful when I get close to my image so I don't go over the colouring. If you have done the pale blue copic outline you don't have to get too close with the chalks. 

Tip : When you brush off the excess chalk powder, brush it upwards into the blue area, not downwards into the white. You don't want to get any blue streaks in your white parts! LOL 



Keep working down the page, I usually find that 4 rows is enough, but that would depend on the size of your image and your preference: 


To finish off, I usually apply a bit of green chalk to the grass. Here's the green I use ...




Here's my finished girlie, all cut out, and edged with Amber Satin & Dune Colour Box brush pads which I apply directly to the cut edge: 




Here she is again, all made up on her card: 
Hope you liked my easy tutorial and I look forward to seeing you try out some cloudy skies!!

If you haven't guessed already, the challenge theme for this week at Top Tip Tuesday is 


Things with Wings. 



Our fab sponsors this fortnight are ......


Simon Says Stamp is offering a $20 gift voucher to spend in their store!! 
In business since 2002, Simon Says Stamp is striving to offer you the best selection of Rubber Stamps, Altered Art, Scrapbooking, Artist Trading Cards, and Paper Crafting Supplies in the world. We stock over 100,000 items in our warehouses so that we can offer you quick service and one stop shopping at a great price! 

Happy customers are the heart of our business. 
We work hard to find and deliver to you the latest in stamping and paper crafting supplies! Attending classes, workshops, and sales meetings around the world, our goal is to keep our product offerings fresh and current. Make us your one stop easy shop - and we'll deliver right to your door! 



1 Lucky winner 4 stamps of their choice! 
Robyn's Fetish Digital Stamps And More is proud to sponsor this challenge. 
Robyn's Fetish Digital Stamps And More, a division of I Did It Creations, was created and is 
owned by Robyn Weinrib. Robyn offers a wonderful variety of digital stamps and digital papers, designed to meet the needs of all digital paper crafting addicts for every occasion. 


Have a peek at the gorgeous creations from our design team.

We've also got the uber talented Deanne joining us this week as a guest.  I always adore her creations and she's created a gorgeous pink card (I LOVE PINK) for our theme today.

Thank you Deanne for joining us this week.




Our Design team 



Bettina
Tip: When making a twisted easel, make sure you manage to fold the back so the upper part of the easel is twisted to one side;)
Image coming soon


Deneen 

Tip: I found these little books at the dollar store (3 in a package), I bought several packages and decorated them all at one time...it makes a quick personalized gift to have on hand when needed.

Elaine
Tip: Leave a little of the image outside the frame and cut round it to make it a bit more dimensional. 


Tip: Instead of a sentiment, create a funny conversation between objects on your card.

Samantha
Tip: When adding a sentiment you can cut a tag but also stamp that with a part of your image and over line it so you can just add height but not extra colour or hide the image.
click on the picture to in large so you can see the sentiment tag better.


Lisa S using Robyn's Fetish BOO Word Art
Tip: Have you ever wished your stamped image was a bit larger? Use a fine point pen/sharpie and draw around the image to increase its size. Color in with a dark pen/marker and no one will ever know. Check out my bats & you'll see what I mean. ;) Be sure to visit my blog because I have another tip regarding my word art image for you.




Now its over to you we can not wait to see your Creations

Don't forget we want to see your Top Tips too
Add (TIP) after your name when you link your Top Tip
Up to 3 Projects AND 3 Top Tips per challenge! Good Luck :)





34 comments:

  1. Great post Annette. Love your tutorial. Awsome projects teamies. Mine is coming up in a little while. Hugs Bettina xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful tutorial, I have been wondering who the clouds are being done. Thank you for sharing. Wonderful DT work! Regards Meighan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable card, and a great tutorial, thank you. Fab DT work as always...
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!

    Thank you for the great cloud tutorial - so creative and new! I love all of the cards - so much talent and fun ideas! Wishing you a happy day!

    Hugs,

    Barbara Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous tutorial, can't wait to try this. I absolutely loved you card the colours are lovely. DT cards are all amazing too.
    xx Vee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome Challenge teamies and blinking fantastic tutorial Annette xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here Here!!! Lurve them clouds :)

      Delete
  7. Your DT’s made great projects! Thanks for letting me play along in the challenge.

    TTFN,

    CraftyGirl
    craftygirlcardsandcrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tutorial and DT cards, thank you, Miria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabby tut and wonderful creations!

    Hugs,
    Karen.xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work from the DT...and great tutorial...I will have to break out those chalks and practice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. fabulous theme and the DT cards are all gorgeous :-) Love the tutorial too Netty :-)
    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful creations from the DT! Fantastic tutorial Annette, thanks for sharing, take careX:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fab tutorial - thanks for sharing! Gorgeous DT cards too. Wedgie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tutorial - and a beautiful image well coloured as well! Looks fabulous. As does the work from the rest of the DT. I always forget my chalks now - must get them front and centre!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful cards ladies, and thank you for the tut Annette.. I got a set of chalks.. but never used them. Will now be trying to used them after this. thanks again. Wishing you a nice weekend. Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much ladies for all the wonderful comments! Sounds like Annette will have us ALL taking out our chalks and practicing!
    Hugs from the TTT crew :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous DT inspiration, thank you for the great challenge.
    The tutorial is great - I'm just going to go and buy some chalks.
    Pauline
    x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh thank you all for your lovely Comments!

    Annette has set this Pist/challenge on fire with her AWESOME tutorial! I really can not wait to see all the ladies creations with her tutorial!!

    PLEASE let us know when you make a card using it its so nice for us/Annette to see your creations with her Tutorial!

    Pauline look forward to seeing yours too! hugs me xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous creations DT, thank you for the challenge and all the inspiration! have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. thank you for the things with wings challenge...beautiful DT samples on display!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm new to this site but will return to take advantage of all of the wonderful tutorials. I have these chalks and will certainly make use of them to follow this tutorial. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Ladies! lililindsay great you found us and we look forward to seeing more of you! hugs Samantha and the TTT girls xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks to the DT for fab inspiration as usual. Great tute Annette ... beats my sticky note cloud (from word art) hands down!!!! ;P Have managed to link up 2 cards for this challenge!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see you here Helen!! hugs Samantha and the TTT girls! xx

      Delete
  24. I deleted my entry @#142 as it was accidentally linked to this challenge blog instead of to my blog post...sorry about that. Have re-entered @ #168 now. Thanks Lisa for letting me know.
    hugs
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna so glad you got that sorted out! abd great you could come play! hugs Samantha and the TTT girls x

      Delete
    2. Yeah!! Your card is gorgeous and you're welcome from Lisa 1 and 2.
      Ha! I feel like a Dr. Seuss character now ;)

      Delete
  25. Thanks for the nice tutorial!
    I just entered my baby with wings card...

    Greetings Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see you Aly! cute card too! hugs me and the teamies xx

      Delete
  26. Love your tutorial on the clouds! Its a fantastic idea and beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. thanks for the oppourtunity to enter your challenge,,..i just found this blog! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome aboard Vic!! We're so happy you found us. :D
      Hugs from all the TTT ladies.

      Delete
  28. Wow, I've just read all your sweet comments. Thanks so much (*blush*). I'm glad you all found the tutorial useful, and it is amazing how many of you say you already have the chalks. Dust them off and get those cloudy skies chalked up. I look forward to seeing your background scenes soon.
    Hugs
    Annette
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to stop by Top Tip Tuesday!!